Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tuesday September 22, 2009 Budapest, Hungary




Day 25 of 36

Budapest, Hungary

I woke up with the sun. Caught up on some sleep last night despite the "room service" incidents.

Showered, dressed, did email and then went to breakfast in the hotel lobby included with the room. Big breakfast. They have the redest tomatoes I've ever seen. A bit sweet - just blood red tomatoes. I've seen those all over.

And the style with facial hair on men seems to be to have a very thin line of hair running down the middle of the chin - very fine line. I've seen this everywhere.

Looks like another beautiful day so I'm off to walk around more and then take my city tour. The traffic is incredible in the downtown near the hotel as they are closing off several of the streets to make them pedestrian streets. I had to go to another spot to get my tour because of the congestion. I toured around for 2 hours and saw the highlights - a good introduction to Budapest.
Cruised down Andrassy Boulevard (the Champs Elysses or Budapest) to Heroes Square with monuments for those who helped free Hungary. There is a large park here and I'll tour that tomorrow.
By many large mansions - beautiful architecture - and churches. Across the Danube to Buda and Buda Castle and the castle district. Then to the Citadel, where they have a statue that is "the statue of liberty" for Hungary. Back to Pest and by the Basilica, then to the Parliament and then by one of the largest synagogues in Europe. After the organized tour I set off on foot and visited the Basilica first. The organist was practicing and it was thrilling - made the arm stand up on my arms. Beautiful - there is a concert there tonight that I may go to.
Then I walked to the Parliament that is right by the Danube. A beautiful historic building. Then to Gresham Palace (Four Seasons Hotel). Then down to shopping plaza, Besci Utca. Lots of shops and pedestrians. I had to try on of the gelato shops.
Walked around for a while and then stopped at a sidewak cafe for a Dreher beer and rested my feet. Around 4 pm I returned to Le Meridian for a rest. Will go out later for an early dinner and then to the concert at the Basilica.
Took a short nap and got dressed for dinner and the concert. Walked to the pedestrian mall and a guy was playing all kinds of songs on glasses - yep, glasses filled with water. He was really good. Over to the Danube and by a beautiful concert hall. Stopped at Ambassador Teracz for dinner - had Hungarian pork chops and a large Dreher beer. Then tried Hungarian "pancakes" for dessert, which are really crepes - these had been soaked in run, filled with nuts, and had chocolate sauce and confectioners sugar sprinkled on top. Good.
During dinner I got to watch the sun setting over the Buda Castle. And at the same time the moon (just a sliver) was setting too. Buda is hilly and Pest is flat, so the Buda Castle just across the Danube is somewhat imposing on the Pest side. The castle was occupied at one time by the Hapsburgs of Austria.
Beautiful, mild evening to sit and watch people walking the sidewalk. Two ladies were trying to sell their lace and embroidery ware. It was fun to watch them "working the tourists".
Then off to the concert at St Stephen's Basilica. I got to sit under the big dome. It was classical music (Ave Maria, Air, Alleluja) for organ, violin, trumpet, tenor and soprano. They were excellent. Lasted about 90 minutes and I enjoyed it all. Strolled back and there were quite a lot of people out eating tonight since it is still and mild.
I went out for a few night-time pictures of the lights on buildings and then to bed so I can get up early for my last 1/2 day in Budapest. The hookers were out in large numbers - right in front of where I had dinner tonight. There are a lot of big, expensive hotels here (Intercontinental, Sofitel, and Four Seasons) so these must be "high class girls". I was approached by no less than 8 of them. Then 2 Italian women stopped me wanting to know where a good nightclub was. I think that's what they wanted!!!! (:-) Then an Italian guy stopped me wanting to know where a good Italian restaurant was. What do they think I am? A straight Hungarian tourist guide?
Got my night-time pictures - they looked good and headed back to bed. I'm beat but the feet are feeling better!

No comments:

Post a Comment